Career in Dental Hygiene
A dental hygienist is a preventive oral health professional licensed to provide educational, clinical and therapeutic services to the public. A dental hygienist's primary duties are to care for patients using an individualized oral health regimen. Each state outlines those procedures that can be legally performed by a licensed registered dental hygienist.
Listed below are examples of services that registered dental hygienists may be able to perform.
- Health history assessment.
- Dental hygiene exam and charting of intra-oral and extra-oral conditions, which include periodontal charting, dental charting and classifying occlusion.
- Dental hygiene assessment and treatment planning.
- Remove hard and soft deposits (calculus, biofilm/plaque, stain) from tooth surfaces.
- Periodontal scaling and root planning.
- Administration of local anesthesia for pain control.
- Administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen sedation for anxiety and pain control.
- Apply tooth-decay preventive agents (fluoride, sealants) to the teeth.
- Dental hygiene nutritional and dietary evaluation.
- Placement of subgingival prescription drugs for prevention and treatment of periodontal disease.
- Expose, process and interpret dental x-rays.
- Place and remove temporary fillings and periodontal dressings.
Tulsa Community College
Metro Campus: 909 South Boston Avenue Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119
Northeast Campus: 3727 East Apache Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74115
Southeast Campus: 10300 East 81st Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133
West Campus: 7505 W 41st Street South Tulsa, Oklahoma 74107
Conference Center: 6111 East Skelly Drive Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135