"Education is more than a luxury, it is a responsibility that society owes to itself"
Code of conduct
An America Reads America Counts tutor is expected to:
- Be a tutor, not a teacher, teacher's aide, parent or other employee of TPS. Tutors cannot be left unsupervised with children, deviate from the tutoring curriculum, evaluate children on a formal basis, discipline children, preach their religion to children and school personnel, contact parents, give students gifts or give students anything edible.
- Represent the College and the America Reads America Counts program well.
- Be professional in appearance and conduct
- Not use any personal electronic material while at the tutoring site.
- Follow all school policies (TCC and host school).
- Sign in daily at the work site
- Turn off cell phones while at work
- Maintain confidentiality, do not discuss the children's abilities or problems in other way than a professional manner with their teachers, schools staff or America Reads America Counts representatives.
- Not make judgments about the school, school discipline policies or other school policies or the children's teachers or parents.
- Have appropriate interactions with children which contribute to the mission of the school, the goals of the America Reads America Counts program and the learning goals of the tutor.
- Dress appropriately
- Be well prepared for each lesson, select appropriate materials and plan ahead.
- Be a good communicator with host school personnel, America Reads America Counts program, staff and peers.
- Earn the trust of pupils and teachers, facilitate pupil learning goals
- Use language appropriately e.g. use correct grammar and do not use slang and swear words
- Be punctual, reliable, responsible, friendly and accepting.
- Show initiative
- Phone host school contact before being absent
- Inform TCC America Reads America Counts program if you are having difficulties with your placement.
- Honor the commitment made.
Tulsa Community College
Metro Campus: 909 South Boston Avenue Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119
Northeast Campus: 3727 East Apache Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74115
Southeast Campus: 10300 East 81st Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133
West Campus: 7505 W 41st Street South Tulsa, Oklahoma 74107
Conference Center: 6111 East Skelly Drive Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135