The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education have set forth guidelines for academic forgiveness policies at state colleges and universities. The purpose of these policies is to provide current students a second academic chance. There are three provisions that will affect a student’s retention and graduation grade point averages (OSRHE Policy 3.11.6).
Students have the prerogative (by petition at TCC) to repeat courses and have only the second grade earned count in the Overall GPA.
- Applies to a maximum of four courses, not to exceed 18 hours.
- Including courses where the original grade was a “D” or “F.”
- Both attempts are recorded on the transcript, but only the second grade earned is used in calculation of Overall GPA.
- If an individual course is repeated more than once, all grades earned – with the exception of the first – are used to calculate the Overall GPA.
- Students repeating courses beyond the first four courses or 18 credit hours may do so with the original grades and repeat hours averaged.
Academic Reprieve is a provision (by petition) allowing a student who has experienced extraordinary circumstances to disregard up to two consecutive semesters in the calculation of his/her TCC Overall GPA.
- At least three years must have elapsed between the period in which the grades being requested as reprieved were earned and the actual reprieve request.
- Prior to requesting academic reprieve, the student must have earned a GPA of 2.0 or higher with no grade lower than a “C” in all regularly graded course work (a minimum of 12 hours).
- The request may be for one semester or term of enrollment or two consecutive semesters or terms of enrollment.
- If the Academic Reprieve is approved, all courses remain on the student’s TCC transcript, but are not calculated in the student’s TCC Overall GPA.
- Course work with a passing grade included in a reprieved semester may be used to demonstrate competency in the subject matter. However, the course work may not be used to fulfill credit hour requirements.
Students may receive no more than one Academic Reprieve or Renewal per Academic Career, and only one option (Reprieve or Renewal) can be used. The Repeated Course provision may be utilized independently of Reprieve or Renewal.
Academic Renewal is a provision that allows a student (by petition) who has had academic difficulty in the past and who has been out of higher education for a number of years to recover without penalty and have a fresh start. Under Academic Renewal, course work taken prior to a date specified by the institution is not counted in the TCC Overall GPA.
- At least five years must have elapsed between the last semester being renewed and the renewal request.
- Prior to requesting academic renewal, the student must have earned a GPA of 2.0 or higher with no grade lower than a “C” in all regularly graded course work (a minimum of 12 hours).
- The request will be for all courses completed before the date specified in the request for renewal.
- All courses remain on the student’s transcript, but are not calculated in the student’s TCC Overall GPA.
- Neither the content nor credit hours of renewed course work may be used to fulfill any degree or graduation requirements.
- Students may receive no more than one Academic Reprieve or Renewal per Academic Career, and only one option (Reprieve or Renewal) can be used. The Repeated Course provision may be utilized independently of Reprieve or Renewal.
If you have questions or are interested in more information concerning any portion of this forgiveness policy, please feel free to visit Academic Advisement or Enrollment Services. Academic Forgiveness petitions are available in the campus Enrollment Services areas or you can download the forms here.ShareThis
Tulsa Community College
Metro Campus: 909 South Boston Avenue Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119
Northeast Campus: 3727 East Apache Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74115
Southeast Campus: 10300 East 81st Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133
West Campus: 7505 W 41st Street South Tulsa, Oklahoma 74107
Conference Center: 6111 East Skelly Drive Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135