The Investigation and Crime Prevention Unit of the Campus Police Department has experienced significant success in reducing crime in the TCC campus community. The following tips are offered as a reminder on ways to keep you and your valuables safe as you attend classes at Tulsa Community College.
Tips for Preventing Crimes while on Campus
- Keep your valuables out of sight. If you must leave them in your car, place them in your trunk.
- Remember to lock your car.
- Always walk in groups of two or three to and from campus buildings and TCC parking lots.
- If you would rather not walk alone, stop by the Campus Police Office and request an escort to your car.
- Report suspicious activities on the orange emergency call box located in the campus parking lot. To find one, look for the blue light.
- Victim support services are available and Campus Police will assist.
On the street
- Wherever you are be alert, and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Walk with confidence and know where you are going.
- Trust you instincts. If someone or something makes you uncomfortable avoid it.
- Know your neighborhood where you live and work.
- Know where police stations, fire stations, shops and restaurants are located that are open late.
On foot (day or night)
- Walk in well lit places. Avoid shortcuts through areas that are wooded, parking lots, and alleyways.
- Do not carry large sums of money.
- Avoid wearing expensive clothing and jewelry.
- Keep purses and wallets close to your body.
- Use ATMS during the day and have your card in hand.
- Do not wear clothing or footwear that restricts your movement.
- Have your keys in hand when going to your car or home door.
- If you think you are being followed change directions and walk to an open business, restaurant, or highly populated area.
- If you have to work late ask a co-worker or a security guard to accompany you to your vehicle.
In the car
- Keep your vehicle in good condition with plenty of gasoline to get you to your destination and back.
- Always keep your windows closed and your doors locked.
- Inspect your car thoroughly before entering it.
- Avoid parking in isolated or dimly lit parking lots.
- If you think you are being followed do not go home, go to a police station, fire station or a business where you can contact emergency services.
- Do not pick up people on the side of the road i.e., hitchhikers.
- Never take a ride from a stranger.
In case of a robbery
- Do not resist. Give over your possessions it is not worth your life.
- Report the incident to the police, giving an accurate description of the suspect.
- Reporting the crime could prevent another person from being a victim.
Tulsa Community College
Metro Campus: 909 South Boston Avenue Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119
Northeast Campus: 3727 East Apache Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74115
Southeast Campus: 10300 East 81st Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133
West Campus: 7505 W 41st Street South Tulsa, Oklahoma 74107
Conference Center: 6111 East Skelly Drive Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135