The following information is used with the permission of ACT and is taken from the ACT DISCOVER Career Development Curricula for Colleges.
- You will spend more than 80,000 hours of your life working! Why spend it doing something you don't enjoy?
- The occupation you choose has a big impact on many aspects of your life. Narrowing your choices somewhat helps to define your lifestyle and gives you a clearer picture of who you are.
- Career exploration helps you learn more about yourself. Learning more about your interests and preferences enables you to form more meaningful relationships with friends and significant others.
- People gain decision-making skills and occupational knowledge through career planning activities.
- When you are faced with many, many career options, you may not take the time to explore them in depth: instead, you may feel overwhelmed!
- Good decision-makers take time exploring options and are able to make informed, satisfying decisions.
- Career planning results in having realistic career goals.
- Students who engage in career exploration programs report higher grades and feel better prepared for the future compared to students who do not.
- Career exploration helps people face and find solutions to educational and career barriers.
- Career exploration helps people develop a support network and learn where to go when help is needed.
- Students who have completed career exploration have more confidence in themselves and are more motivated to achieve their goals.
Tulsa Community College
Metro Campus: 909 South Boston Avenue Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119
Northeast Campus: 3727 East Apache Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74115
Southeast Campus: 10300 East 81st Street Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133
West Campus: 7505 W 41st Street South Tulsa, Oklahoma 74107
Conference Center: 6111 East Skelly Drive Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135